HP3000-L Archives

August 1995, Week 4

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 1995 18:56:53 EDT
On Wed, 23 Aug 1995 18:21:02 -0400 Denys Beauchemin said:
>>Thought you might be interested in this.  DDX (dynamic dataset expansion)
>>is not supported with HPDESK and is not planned.  So if you have
>>configured your LOCAL datasets with DDX, expecting it to expand
>>the datasets when they fill up, time to go back to the old ways.
>
>Could this be because HPDESK keeps track of the capacity of the datasets in
>some sort of directory, a la MM3000?  If this is the case, then you would
>only need to have a job scan the datasets everyday or so and update the
>directory to reflect new capacity settings.  This could get a little sticky,
>but it should work.

It's a two-fold problem as best as I can tell.  There is a "directory" of
sorts that gets updated with the mailmaint job, and I have seen references
on SupportLine regarding running a particular program after you do any
capacity changes a la Adager/DBGeneral/etc to resynch the counts without
running the maint job.  But in my experiences (running maints twice a week)
the reported capacities match up.

The bottom line is that it is using DBINFO() either in-line or else in that
directory synch step of the mailmaint to get the capacities, and as such,
you can't bypass it with the current behavior of dbinfo() to get capacities
of the datasets.

We discussed this many months ago, and many felt (and I still do) that the
old dbinfo() capacity should return the max capacity for DDX-enabled sets,
not the currently-allocated capacity.  In the current implementation, the
only winners are the brain-dead applications that never checked capacities,
and the previously-intelligent applications that did check are now broken.

[\] Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>