HP3000-L Archives

August 1995, Week 4

From:
Ken Sletten b894 c331 x2525 <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Sletten b894 c331 x2525 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 1995 14:52:00 P
It was suggested to me that the readership might be
interested in seeing the short item I sent off to
ComputerWorld yesterday, and the subsequent
response.  In case that's so, here they are:

Hello ComputerWorld,

As a long-time reader of ComputerWorld, and an
enthusiastic user of the HP 3000, MPE/iX, and the
Image/SQL DBMS, I was glad to see the HP 3000
get a little well-deserved coverage on page 16 in
the NEWS section of your 21 Aug 95 issue.  We
are one of those sites that see no need to ever
downgrade to the lowest common denonimator
(commonly a.k.a. UNIX).  Open interconnectivity
is the right mantra, not open systems = UNIX.

Couple things I wanted to respectfully point out:

1.   In the first sentance after the by-line, in the
"Updating Old Faithful" article, you said:   "In an
effort to bring its longtime HP 3000 users into the
worlds of open systems and client/server
technology, ......"
Note that Image/SQL has for some time now
allowed full SQL read/write access to Image data,
using a wide range of popular ODBC-compliant
Windows tools.  Your first sentance struck me as
leaving the impression that HP was just starting
down that road;  not so.

2.    Hopefully you will again in the near future
have cause to mention the HP 3000 and MPE.  If
and when you do, you may want to correct a typo
that probably only an MPE user would notice:
It's lower-case "i":   MPE/iX, not MPE/IX......

3.    Kind of a sidebar, on last paragraph in the "Old
Faithful" article:
We have been happily printing directly from our HP
3000 to a variety of networked Laserjet printers for
most of two years now;  some of these printers are
shared by the 3000, PCs, and Macs.  Works fine....

:-)  ,

Ken Sletten
Here's what I got back this moring from CW: