HP3000-L Archives

August 1995, Week 4

From:
Guy Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Guy Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 1995 09:29:24 EDT
 avid Groves, in a fit of excelect prose and analysis, wrote:

> 5)  The command file invocation line "#!file_path" should be implemented.
>     I can kludge it for, say, perl, by setting up a file by the desired
>     name (say, my_test) as /bin/my_test with execute permissions; its
>     contents are a single line:
>         /bin/perl /bin/my_test.pl $*
>     where the real perl statements are all in /bin/my_test.pl and
>     where $* transfers all the command-line values to the perl file.
>     As you can see, this does require two files every time.

I agree though as it applies to other tools. I hear it will be in 5.5.

> 19) When vi opens its screen, it should use terminal commands to 'go to
>     the same for the user, but previously displayed lines would not be
>     wiped out.  Once it has opened a screen, vi handles the display OK.

vi needs a general overhaul.  When I installed 5.0, I renamed the CSL vi
(stevie) back to it's original name and PATHed in HP's vi.  I'm surprised
that our programmers allowed me to escape the building alive.  The woes
are numerous, but for me the major defect is it's inablility to handle
any screen format aside from 80X24.  I tend to keep Reflection in 132X40,
which Qedit handles well with a single SET command.  I can find nothing
under vi's :set that makes it behave in this environment.

And, if I may be so bold:

24) Fix the shell.  It is slow and mangles keystrokes when PC type-ahead is
enabled.

25) As many other have noted, more(1) should not clear the screen when
called.

26) HP should included some non-POSIX extentions found in HP-UX so
mixed platform HP shops have a more unified environment (ll comes to mind).

Guy Smith                                Voice:  804-527-4000 ext 6664
Circuit City Stores, Inc.                  FAX:  804-527-4008
9950 Mayland Drive                      E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]
Richmond, VA 23233-1464         Private E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]

The thoughts expressed herein are mine and do not reflect those of my
employer, or anyone with common sense.