HP3000-L Archives

August 1995, Week 4

From:
Glenn Cole <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 1995 14:33:37 PDT
Dan Harrington <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Have a H. P. Deskjet Plus that if not used every day stops printing
> to the paper. Have two cartridges that are 50% fill now.

I have a DeskJet 500 and experienced a similar condition. I have since come
up with a theory about this (which, while not necessarily accurate, works
for me ;) and a workaround which appears to work.

Theory: The DeskJet series works by heating up the ink, causing it to
squirt onto the page. As long as the printer is powered up, heat is
present. Powering down the printer causes the cartridge to cool down,
causing it to clog.

Workaround: Leave the printer powered up.

--Glenn Cole
  Software al dente, Inc.