HP3000-L Archives

August 1995, Week 4

From:
Gilles Schipper <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gilles Schipper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 1995 17:07:54 -0400
On  21 Aug 1995, Marvin Barnes wrote:

<snip>

>I experienced almost everyone of Stan's issues also.  I believe the
>Toronto show is one not very many people would like to live again.  What
>is great is to have Stan and others give feed back as to his view that
>will allow Interex to take the opportunity and excel in CA next year.

<snip>

With all due respect, I think many people would very much like to experience
the Toronto show again.

My reading of Stan's overall assessment of the show was that it was quite
favourable. Many of his complaints were relatively minor and were
outnumbered by his favourable comments.

In any event I would like to address some of Stan's negatives:

1. Smoking complaints:

Maybe you wouldn't know it, but in actual fact Toronto has one of the
strictest set of anti-smoking laws in North America. I believe only New York
City (very recently) and the Bay Area of California have by-laws approaching
Toronto's in strictness.

Stan's experiences were an anomoly.

2. Hot and Muggy weather.

The extended extreme humidity conditions experienced last week were rare
indeed. And if you had to have a guarantee for cool and dry weather, you
would have to eliminate a lot of other venues in North America. And in the
places left, you might have to worry about hurricanes or earthquakes.

3. Homeless people in vendor areas.

I have no reason to challenge Stan's assertion. I can only state that
Toronto has far fewer homeless people than virtually every other major US city.

4. Theft problems.

From what I have heard, it really was no worse than other shows. Perhaps the
solution would be to engage better security services.

5. Widespread free invitation to vendor show.

Surely that has to be a positive.  I would think most vendors would be
delighted. I know many HP users in the Toronto area who would not have
visited otherwise.  And I know vendors who were happy to have an expanded
market.

6. Conference running Tuesday to Friday.

I asked Chuck Piercey about that. He replied that the response was terrific
and it resulted in many more attendees because people would rather attend
the day-long seminars on Monday rather than Sunday (I guess most people do
have a life). I don't want to put words in Chuck's mouth, but the impression
I got was that Interex will be doing that again from now on.

7. High prices at Toronto airport.

Gee, is there any airport this side of Mars where that is not the case.
Actually, $2.95 cdn (approx. $2.10US) is not too far from the norm.

8. People whose last name begin with "S" not picking up messages.

I hope there weren't any for me. I didn't check once.

Denys, the Toronto conference was outstanding. The venue was ideal and the
content and organization were top-notch. I am also happy to hear that even
more tutorials are on the agenda for next year.

I commend you and the volunteers and everybody at Interex who were
responsible for putting this show together and I expect next year's in
Aneheim will be every bit as good. Actually, the last time it was held in
Anaheim (1984, I believe) was my first Interex conference - and maybe I was
too starry-eyed at the time, but I remember it was also outstanding.

   Gilles Schipper                    Voice:      905/889-3000
   GSA Inc.                           Fax:        905/889-3001
   300 John Street, Box 87651         Internet:   [log in to unmask]
   Thornhill, ON  Canada  L3T 7R4     Compuserve: 71203,474