HP3000-L Archives

August 1995, Week 3

From:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Aug 1995 16:08:30 -0700
Marvin writes:
> On Sat, 19 Aug 1995, Jerry Bostick wrote:
> > IMHO,  the INTEREX party sucked and so do HP workstations ;>)
> > * took 45 min.s to get food.
> How did you get served so fast.  I was on ferry #2 and gave up after an
> hour waiting for food.  Beer was achieved by "slipping in" with the help
> I have heard the rational that 300 extra people showed up.  Maybe because
> no one checked for any id from attendees 300 locals joined in.  At the
> Monday night party, people were coming and going to the vendor floor thru
> the curtains.  Maybe security was the problem over all???

I missed the Wednesday party (referred to above), but talked to about
10 people for reviews.  Marvin and Jerry's comments were typical of
all 10.

I had a problem with Monday night's kickoff party...NOISE!

The noise level was high enough to be illegal, at least in the U.S..  In fact,
it probably could be heard across the border!

I remember when the kickoff party was more subdued, and people could actually
talk and meet new attendees, and "network" with each other.

Not now, alas!  Between the darkness and the incredible din, and the disk
jockey imploring people to act silly ... it was unbearable.  In one corner,
(northwest corner, by the stairs) I gagged on the heavy cigar smoke in
the *NON SMOKING* convention center.

Speaking of smoking, the vendor area had many, many problems with people
smoking during setup and after-hours ... despite prominent "No Smoking"
signs.  And, yes, the smoking during setup was by both vendors and
convention center employees.  If the distribution of cigarette butts around
one booth I observed held throughout the show area, I'd estimate that
more than 2,000 cigarettes had been smoked...it wasn't an isolated problem.

After complaints from several vendor employees, Denys Beauchemin made one
announcement (during setup on Monday) that smoking wasn't permitted
(thanks Denys!)
but it had little effect.  :(

It was also disconcerting to walk through a gantlet of smokers, to get into
and out of the convention center.

BTW, I believe people should have the right to smoke ... and that I have
the right NOT to have to smell it, or to have my safety threatened by
it (either fumes or fire).

--
Stan Sieler                                          [log in to unmask]
                                     http://www.allegro.com/sieler.html