HP3000-L Archives

August 1995, Week 3

From:
Glenn Cole <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Glenn Cole <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Aug 1995 17:50:17 GMT
Stan Sieler ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

: My new hardware pick of the day:
:    From HP Panacom (Waterllo, Ontario):
:    The HP 500 ... a Windows server for Unix / Xterminals
:    A pentium box, running SCO Unix, Xifer, and some other software ...
:    then multiple copies of Windows, which are redirected to your workstation
:    (using X windows).  The net effect: having a 486/33 in your workstation
:    along with your Unix machine.  cut/paste to/from Windows/X allowed.
:
:    Price: about 6500$? (don't know if C$ or US$).
:
:    A software only package should be on market in 2 to 3 months.

HP says this machine is available in two configurations: one supporting
15 users, the other supporting 30. The gentleman manning the station did
not know if this would support MAE (Macintosh Application Environment),
thus enabling a single machine to run SIMULTANEOUS "sessions" with
X-windows, MS Windows, and MacOS. (Yes, Denys, I had to ask.)

:    P.s.: this isn't the "Windows server" I was unhappy with at the start of
:    this note.

And thank goodness!

: Stan

--Glenn Cole