HP3000-L Archives

August 1995, Week 3

From:
Gary Dietz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gary Dietz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 1995 13:04:24 -0800
Richard Gambrell replied in private with an answer to my earlier question
about tracking users who are attached to the HP3000 via ODBC and the HPDARPA
job.  Since I just received email from Mark Bixby asking if I had discovered
the answer I thought I'd post it here for anybody else who might need this
information.

Basically Richard indicated that he thought that SQLMON would show you who
is attached to the HP3000 in this way.  I tried it, and it does.  It isn't
exactly straightforward, but it does work.  Thanks Richard!

Which leads me to another question.  One that I don't think I'm going to
like the answer to.  Each user who is accessing the 3000 via the HPDARPA job
causes a sub process to be spawned by HPDARPA.  And if a user has 4
client-server applications open, each of those 4 show up as a sub process
under HPDARPA.    Do each of these processes count as a user, against my 100
user MPE/iX license?  If this is the case, then 25 users, each with 4
applications open, could use up my 100 user license!  It seems that there
was a thread on this subject a little while back, so perhaps I need to go
dig through the archives.  But if anybody has a quick answer it will save me
that work.

Thanks,

Gary