HP3000-L Archives

August 1995, Week 3

From:
Tad Bochan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 1995 04:31:04 GMT
[This note has been sent to the following InterNet address(es):

Paul,  FYI, you can default QUIZ into the D-queue by simply using LINKEDIT
Altprog
to apply a ;PRI=DS to the QUIZ program file.

I dont know if QUIZ is the same, but I have found that running QTP in a session
can
cause performance problems when reading big KSAM files opened with LOCK;SHR
(or even just ;SHR since KSAM forces LOCK when SHR is specified).
I seems to invoke the FCONTROL intrinsic to disable/enable break around each
read. This coupled with FLOCK/FUNLOCK  has an unpleasant effect on performance.
Our shop tends to stream jobs for quiz/qtp reports from quick during online.
Tad.
-----------------------
Paul writes:
We have an application with parts of it developed in Powerhouse.  There are
many cases where *quiz* is invoked from an *quick* screen scanning these
huge subfiles and consuming most of the CPU starving everything else.  I'm
thinking of suggesting to get Workgroup Manager to force any invocation of
quiz into the D queue and to also split the resources among the major
applications.
I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions on anything else that maybe
available.  Something that would establish separate queues for each
application for both on-line and batch would be ideal.
In the process of trying to help these starved jobs along I tried to use
the 'TUNE' command and increased the 'timeslice' for the DS & ES queues.
Subsequent to that change we had a system abort 819 (Don't know if it was
related to the 'timeslice' change).  When the system was restarted I was
expecting the 'timeslice' to be back to the 'default' value but to my
surprise its value was the value set prior to the abort.  Is my
understanding of the TUNE command out of tune?

Thanks

Paul H. Christidis
phone: 310 513-5808