HP3000-L Archives

August 1995, Week 1

From:
"Paul H. Christidis" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 1995 19:51:15 PST
Subject: Re: Re[2]: 5.0 PROBLEM
Author:  Pete Crosby <[log in to unmask]> at CCGATE
Date:    8/2/1995 1:22 PM

>I wrote:
>>Paul,
>>    Are you using AUTORESTART and, if so, are you doing an RS after
>>the SHUTDOWN and prior to trying to perform the memory dump???

>To which he replied:

>>The answer is NO on both counts.   If we take the RS path we dump 16MB of
>>memory with no problem, going the TC more than 95MB are 'assembled' for
>>dumping before the system abort occurs.  I assume the TC path is
>>preferred.

>To clarify this a little, SA1050's can result if you have AUTORESTART
>and:

         >1. You power the system off and on
Our system hung, No one could log on!

>or
         >2. You do an RS instead of a TC at the "CM>" prompt
We did a TC at the 'CM>' prompt!

>AND      3. You DO NOT interrupt the AUTOBOOT process to skip the
            >performance of a memory dump.

>The failure results from an attempt to dump memory, which is not
>in a valid "dumpable" state.

                             >--Pete Crosby

It's interesting, your tone almost indicates that occurrences of SA1050's
occur under specific circumstances yet the response center was stumped and
spent 2 days changing, first a multifunction i/o board and then swapping out
ldev2, before identifying a patch. (MPEHXF4A).

By the way the patch was installed and we were able to perform a dump after
performing a TC at the CM> prompt.  Of course we still do not know what
caused the hang in the first place!

Now an interesting thing occurred while we were restarting the machine
during the patch installation:  While it was going through its
initialization codes it seemed that it hung again, the CE called someone in
the office and he was told to just enter 'CO' at the 'CM>' prompt.  When
that was done the machine continued with its normal sequence.  This was NOT
occurring a few days before and it occurred before AND after the patch
update.  One difference in the environment is the addition of a printer to
the parallel port of the console, and the enabling of 'log bottom' on the
console.

Any ideas on this one?

TIA and also thanks to everyone that responded with suggestions,
encouragement and information.

Paul H. Christidis