HP3000-L Archives

August 1995, Week 1

From:
Steve Cole <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 1995 00:08:42 -0400
In a message dated 95-07-31 15:14:52 EDT, [log in to unmask] (joe smith)
writes:

>We are looking at the possibility of performing our system backups at an
>off-site location.  This will allow us to eliminate the use of messengers to
>transport tapes between off-site contingency storage and the production
site.
>If anyone out there has experience doing this or would like to suggest a
>possible configuration or third party vendor, your comments would be
>appreciated.  Our system is an HP987/150, 16 gig to store, we are hooked up
>to an Ethernet TCP/IP backbone.  We have T1 circuits between locations.  Our
>current backup software is Turbostore XL2 online, concurrently writing to 4
>SCSI DAT drives.  TIA

Backups can be performed over the network but the speeds achieved are
even slower that DAT drives.  If you have access to a dedicated 1.5 Mb
LAN connection (TCP/IP over a T1) you may have access to approximately
300kbs to 500 kbs of bandwidth (30% to 50%).  If other users access the
network during this time then collisions could increase that impact the
overall performance.  I would estimate that using Turbostore across a network
for 16Gb could take from 8 to 14 hours( if the network doesn't experience a
problem).

If you only backup the critical data (ie. data base log files, and only
things
that change,  a relative backup) it may work.  Other options to consider is
a product that does a backup to disc and then copy the backup file across
the network.

The concept will work but you need to evaluate what you are trying to
accomplish versus the bandwidth of the network.

Steve Cole
Outer Banks Solutions