HP3000-L Archives

August 1995, Week 1

Pete Crosby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 1995 07:53:21 EDT
Stan writes:

>   After a cold powerup, or an RS, the memory is (scrubbed/blanked/erased
>   or just simply trashed) ... a dump is worthless.
>
>Ok, can a TC be distinguished from an RS or cold powerup?
>
>   Yes.  The SHOT Nugget reports if a TC had been done.
>
>   In 1994, I submitted an SR requesting that MEMSAVE (run just
>   before the ISL> prompt is given) be fixed to
>   not save memory if an RS had been done ... and I gave HP the C
>   source code to implement the change.  The result?  Nothing.
>   I can't even find the request via HPSL.
>   (No, I didn't record the SR#, ... I thought I could retrieve it
>   from HPSL ... my mistake)
>
>So, it sounds like Pete is saying:
>
>   We have a trivially avoidable bug
>
>Ok, HP...you know how to easily fix it, and while you're there, please
>fix MEMSAVE/ISL to not dump after an RS.

This is, as Stan puts it (and I would strongly agree), a TRIVIAL
problem. So don't blow it out of proportion. It is easily avoided
and will be fixed in due time. SR 4700962845 has been entered on
this problem.

--
                            --Pete Crosby

*  Note: my comments are my own and do not reflect the views of my     *
*        employer or necessarily anyone else.     [log in to unmask]       *