HP3000-L Archives

July 1995, Week 5

From:
Ken Paul <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 28 Jul 1995 18:16:23 -0400
On 27 Jul 1995, Tom Harmon <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>>Does anyone know of a product that will provide keyword lookup into text
files
>>that are located on an HP3000/947 running MPEix 4.0/5.0? We are thinking of
>>placing our policy book on the HP and having administrators access it from
>>there instead of making copies and sending it out every year. The product
would
>>have to function over serial (DTC) lines. All of our users are using WRQ
>>Reflection (DOS and Windows).

Leonard Berkowitz responded:

>>Have you looked into Omnidex from DISC 303-444-4000.  We use text keyword
>>look up into address, name and title fields, but I think it would work on a
>>whole document also.

<<PLUG ALERT>>

In a former life, I worked on a project which dealt with indexing
variable-length
text in a user defined database on the HP3000.  The product was called
INTERACT
and it uses a combination of flat files and CM-KSAM files for all the data
and
indexing structures (no IMAGE).

IMO Omnidex is a good tool for indexing fixed length fields but not for
variable-
length fields, such as documents of varying sizes, because you have to define
all the fields in IMAGE with a given length.  (No flames please)

INTERACT was marketed to law firms which dealt in all kinds of documents
for cases.  It does not have any GUI front-end and runs completely on the
3000.  Jerry Johnson of Magic Software has ownership of the product.

I would be happy to talk to anyone about the capabilities of the product
so feel free to e-mail me directly so we don't waste any bandwidth on the
list.

<<END PLUG>>

Thanks,