HP3000-L Archives

July 1995, Week 5

From:
John Kramer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Kramer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jul 1995 15:22:39 -0400
Paul Christidis asks...
>Anyone out there knows anything about 'secure id' and whether the HP3000
>can support it?

I have a SecurID card for access into a set of secured computers, one of which
is a HP3000. Might this be what you are refering to?

This card displays a new access code every 60 seconds that is keyed to the
card's serial number and internal clock.  There is software on each  host that
prompts for my access code and PIN, then hashes through an algorithm based on
my assigned serial number and PIN (stored in a data base), the entered access
code, and time, to authenticate my user-id.  The card has a battery life of
about 3 years and is the size of a credit card.

The cards come from Security Dynamics in Cambridge, MA. They apparently do
have an interface for MPE/iX.