HP3000-L Archives

July 1995, Week 4

From:
John Beckett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Beckett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jul 1995 09:02:01 -0400
Amazing, the number of bits spilled over the list on this problem.  It
must vex a lot of people.  It keeps coming back.

<plug> We solved it some years ago with SLS, which hopefully is still in
the CSL.  I believe there are other CSL utilities which have become
available since then, which do the same thing.
</plug>

There are a few issues that one must resolve when saying "every day at the
same time".

1. What do you do if the machine is down at the appointed time?  Forget it?
   Run it immediately?

2. What do you do if the appointed time never happens.  As in, 2:45 a.m. on
   a certain Sunday in the Spring?

3. What do you do if the machine is down for over a day?  Run it multiple
   times?

The approach of SLS is to give you a near-procedural language so that you
can design your algorithm as needed.  Even so, the answers to these
questions are tricky.

Note: the co$tly products on the market address many isssues that SLS does
not, such as multiple-computer networks.
--
         /\--.      John A. Beckett           "Flame the guy, not the list."
        /  \  )     Southern College of SDA   ...adapted from Matthew 18:15