HP3000-L Archives

July 1995, Week 4

From:
Eero Laurila <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eero Laurila <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jul 1995 01:35:58 GMT
Michael Casteel ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
:At 10:44 AM 7/24/95, Stan Sieler wrote:
:>Bruce writes:
:>
:>> QEDIT also has to deal with an MPE
:>> limitation: large windows result in large block transfers, which don't work
:>> in VT (over a network).
:>
:>Could you elaborate on this, please?  I've had problems with block-mode

: There is a limitation on the size of a single read over VT due to
: protocol/implementation restrictions, and a limit on serial size due to
: QEDIT. I'd expect buffer size limitations in both cases. I used to have a
: slip of paper with the numbers written on them on my desk, but it's lost
: now. I got them from Robelle (and they may have updates, anyway). There may
: also have been a change in 'streams mode' vs 'message mode' VT.

- Curious about this...  The limits I know of for VT are 120200bytes max
  read size (set by max view read size says the comment in vtserver source.
  I take it this refers to some vplus read size).  And another one posed by the
  PC clients... max read buffer 3501 bytes.  Soo...  is one of these
  the limit you are hitting?

Cheers,
Eero - HP CSY Networking lab, NS services, VT.