HP3000-L Archives

July 1995, Week 4

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 1995 18:18:46 EDT
RNS/Win 5.00 hit the streets (at least got out WRQ's door).  As for lpd/lpr,
where was mention of at least lp in the MPE/iX 5.5 release; whether or not
this carries on to lpr I don't know.  There are 3rd parties with MPE lpr/lpd,
and there are shareware lpr/lpd's for Winsock.

We've used lpr/lpd (WRQ's) to some extent.  With the 5.00 release, you can
have a "hot" lpr printer that you can access directly from Windows apps, just
pretend you have one of the target printers installed, but associate it with
a "watch file" instead of an LPT port.  Great way to share a printer across
several PCs without the cost/bother of a JetDirect card or Netware queue.

I would like to add two last minute items to the RNS/Win 5.00 release notes:

(1) They did provide a beta patch to allow HP's OpenView (new release) to
successfully do polling.  This was previously impossible.  I do not know for
sure if this was rolled into the 5.00 release or not, but a patch can be had
from [log in to unmask] for this (replacement WINSOCK.DLL and RNTCP.DLL).

(2) There was a bug in asynchronous socket I/O with SO_LINGER option set
which caused at least the shareware winhttpd server to mysteriously hang up.
For any of you that tried to access http://opus.admin.utc.edu and got no
response back, I offer my apologies for your trouble but am now happy to
say that this problem was recreated in the lab and patched TODAY!  Yeahhh!
This patch is also available from tech support, ask for [log in to unmask] as it
is only a couple of hours old :-)

And finally, now that I can keep httpd working on opus longer than an hour
or two at a time, I hope to be making some additions in the near future.
(I know, I said that before, but you can't teach a dead dog new tricks :-) )

[\] Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>