HP3000-L Archives

July 1995, Week 4

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 1995 19:41:15 EDT
Aha! Another Jeff :-)

On Wed, 26 Jul 1995 20:31:32 GMT Jeff Harrell said:
>I'm looking for some file transfer utilities ( outbound ) for
>mpe. Does anyone know where I could find something?

Kermit and XModem are available.  The "newer" protocols (Y/ZModem, Super
Kermit, etc) all operate in a truly asynchronous mode, transmitting and
receiving simultaneously.  This is something that, to this day, is darn
near impossible to do on MPE, especially without PM and elaborate code.

There is an X/Y/ZModem module for Unix from Chuck Forsberg, but to my
knowledge it will not port to Posix due to some elaborate tty system
calls it makes (where Posix is very lacking).

If you must do file transfers over a serial line, it's not a pretty sight.

[\] Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>