HP3000-L Archives

July 1995, Week 4

From:
Duane Percox <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Duane Percox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 1995 10:49:04 -0700
>On Fri, 21 Jul 1995 21:10:06 GMT Nigel Campbell said:
>>PowerHouse 4GL allows you to deploy PowerHouse client a Windows or MAC
>>client in addition to terminals/batch processes on MPE as well as UNIX
>>and OpenVMS.
>
>Is it just me, or does "client/server" appear to be "master/slave" when
>viewed from a vendor/client perspective?  No particular sleight intended
>to Cognos, just this particular market in general.
>
>[\] Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>

I've always worried about the box you can get locked into when choosing a
particular vendors 4gl solution. Tools are available today to develop
client/server applications without buying into a particular vendor solution.
I know you know this (preaching to the choir). I like picking tools that
give some degree of freedom. I like these approaches (depending on the needs
of the application):

pc-RAD(vb,delphi,etc)-<winsock/tcp>--lan--<netipc/sockets>-(cobol,pascal,etc)-3k
or
pc-RAD (vb,delphi,etc)-ODBC--lan--rdbms server-3k

-- Duane Percox (Quintessential School Systems)