HP3000-L Archives

July 1995, Week 2

From:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 1995 17:36:11 -0700
Hi all,

The topic of message files and their recovery after a system
failure was raised recently.  It occurred to me to ask:

   What if MPE is changed to guarantee that message files are never
   corrupted by a system failure, at the cost of always throwing away
   pending messages if the file was open when the system crashed?

BTW, I haven't personally encountered corrupted message files on
MPE/iX 5.0, although I've heard one report about that happening.
I mention this in advance, in case the MPE lab says "hey, there shouldn't
be any corruption now!", in which case my proposal is changed to: never mind.

I think the following would suffice:

   - when a message file is opened, flag it as "needs cleaning".
     Post the flag to disk.  (Note: opening for COPY mode wouldn't
     set the flag...but read or write mode would.)

   - at system bootup (or, when the message file is first opened after
     a system failure), if the "needs cleaning" flag is on,
     the message file would be emptied and guaranteed to be "clean".

This would prevent the problems that a lot of us have encountered
with message files.

What do we lose?  The possibility of having useful records in the
message files.

What do we gain?  Robustness, safety, and a guaranteed startup condition.

What is the implementation cost?  Probably low.

What do people think?

Stan Sieler                                          [log in to unmask]
                                     http://www.allegro.com/sieler.html