HP3000-L Archives

July 1995, Week 2

From:
Martin Knapp <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Martin Knapp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 1995 12:07:01 PDT
At the risk of getting flamed, here is a brief word about all the
abuse directed at Nigel Campbell of Cognos.

Frankly, I thought the Net was designed for something else than just
hurling abuse at an individual just because you don't like his
employer's commercial practices. Apart from being downright impolite
to the individual concerned, it seems to me a complete waste of time
for most of the recipients. If you want to slag someone off on the
Net, then please put a warning into the title, so that the
uninterested among us can delete without bothering to read.

As far as Cognos is concerned, I have heard a lot of bad things said
about Cognos: they're too pushy, they make you pay a lot, their
products are no good, etc, etc. None of this is very original. People
say the same things about Oracle as well for example. How is it then
that Oracle and Cognos are successful companies making a lot of
money? Is it because all the IT managers who bought Cognos (or
Oracle) products, presumably on the basis of technical evaluations by
their systems people, are idiots? I don't think so.

By the way, I am neither a Cognos employee, nor a Cognos customer, so
I have no axe to grind one way or the other.
Yours sincerely,

Martin Knapp
Any opinions expressed herein are my own, and should not be used to
incriminate my employer or anybody else: living, deceased, or imaginary.

Martin Knapp                             Voice:  (+44)-1689-877-933
Proactive Systems                          FAX:  (+44)-1689-891-475
Central Court                           E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]
Knoll Rise
Orpington
Kent, BR6 0JA
United Kingdom