HP3000-L Archives

July 1995, Week 2

From:
Mike Shumko <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 9 Jul 1995 08:14:00 PDT
Stan Sieler asks if it is possible to Store data from a MPE/iX system
to a cartridge drive on a MPE/V system.

Yes, it is possible. That is exactly the scenario we use to create
tapes for customers on old machines. We do a

:dsline minnie
:remote hello user.account
:file ctape;dev=minnie#ctape
:store <fileset>;*ctape;transport

It's slow as molasses, but that's not DS' fault, it's the serial disc
interface that MPE/V uses to communicate with the cartridge drive.

Bottom line: works great, go for it.

Regards,
Mike Shumko

P.S.  We are down to only three clients still requesting cartridge tape
format. FYI the current breakdown of tape formats we send is

DDS       58%
1600      32%
6250      10%