HP3000-L Archives

July 1995, Week 1

From:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 1995 10:52:17 -0700
Rene asks:

> A customer of mine is looking for a utility to make a copy of his backup
> tape, without doing a store again. This is for data safety reasons.
>
> Is anyone familiar with a tool like this?

FCOPY may work adequately, if the backup is a single reel/DDS.

Additionally, the CSL has some tape-to-tape copy programs, I believe.

However, multi-reel STORE tapes are somewhat tricky to copy correctly,
because of the extra information at the end of one reel and the start
of the next.

XOVER, marketed by Bering Industries (800) 237-4641 or (408) 374-8300,
copies NM STORE and CM STORE tapes from "n" reels/DDS/whatever to
"k" DDS/reels/whatever (any combination).  Thus, it can be used to
copy a STORE from three 2400' tapes to a single DDS, or from a
single 90m DDS to six 15m DDS, or whatever, because it knows how to
handle STORE continuation reels.

Allegro Consultants may have a small financial interest in XOVER,
and we certainly have a parent's interest in it: we wrote it.

--
Stan Sieler                                          [log in to unmask]
                                     http://www.allegro.com/sieler.html