HP3000-L Archives

July 1995, Week 1

From:
Isaacblake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Isaacblake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 1995 22:58:33 -0400
In article <[log in to unmask]>, Steve Dirickson b894
westwins <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>Does anyone know the algorithm the ODE MAPPER utility uses to determine
>which physical devices will be ignored during any given run? The last
>time, it showed me the even-numbered SCSI IDs on the primary SCSI channel
>(52), i.e. IDs 6, 4, and 2, but ignored the odd-numbered IDs (5, 3, 1).
>Likewise, it showed me the even-numbered DDS tape at 20.0, but ignored
>the one at 20.1. On the other hand, it showed the disk at 20.5, but not
>the one at 20.6. I'm confused.

You ran into the bug I posted a few months back after a CE and I spent
half a day on this.  Basically the problem is that ODE MAPPER *does not*
work correctly when there are more than 3 devices per SCSI channel (SR on
file).

>On another note: does anyone know why HP took away the reliable IOMAP
>utility, and replaced it with the, shall we say, creative, MAPPER?

Good question!!!  I never saw anything discussing the reasons...

/isaac