HP3000-L Archives

July 1995, Week 1

From:
Bill Bennett CSY <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Bennett CSY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 1995 18:28:47 GMT
On Sun, 2 Jul 1995 02:23:45 EDT, Jeff Kell ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
: Over the weekend, I started with the best of intentions to collect
: information on Posix file system quirks to build a web page on Opus
: as a guide to transferring files via FTP/WWW/downloads to the 3000.
: As I result, now I'm thoroughly confused myself (again) just when I
: thought I had things figured out.

 <SNIP>

: Now the real kicker... I logged onto a Unix box and FTP'ed the files
: in ASCII mode.  The results:

: unixbox.utc.edu% ls -l test*
: -rw-------   1 jeff     staff         73 Jul  1 10:45 test1
: -rw-------   1 jeff     staff         20 Jul  1 10:45 test2
: -rw-------   1 jeff     staff         40 Jul  1 10:45 test3
: unixbox.utc.edu% cat test1 test2 test3
: This is a test file
: This is a test file
: T
: h
: i
: s

: i
: s

: a

: t
: e
: s
: t

: f
: i
: l
: e

: unixbox.utc.edu%

: TEST3 was a major surprise.  Is this a bug?  If it isn't, it should
: be in my opinion.  FTP isn't very Posix-friendly as it is, but this
: is pretty bad.  Granted if you transfer in BINARY mode it will work
: for this case (TEST3) but you shouldn't have to do that, it makes no
: sense.

Jeff,

FTP was written for MPE before POSIX so some of its behaviors are more
like running from the CI than from the shell (for example with mget you
use LISTFILE syntax not ls). A couple of interesting things I've found
with ftp on the 3K: to transer a bytestream file set the transfer mode
to bytestream if your on the 3K, if your on a UNIX box set the transfer
mode to tenex (this will let you push a bytestream file over to the 3K
and it remains bytestream). Also take a look at the file BLDPARMS.ARPA.SYS
it contains the default build parameters for ascii, binary and bytestream
(tenex). Note that with ascii and binary ftp tries to convert to MPE
record based file.

Hope this helps,

Bill

Bill Bennett                                            [log in to unmask]
Hewlett Packard Company
Commercial Systems Division                            phone (408) 447-7858
19055 Pruneridge Avenue, MS 46TU                       fax   (408) 447-4441
Cupertino, California 95014