HP3000-L Archives

June 1995, Week 5

From:
CHAD GILLES <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
CHAD GILLES <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 1995 09:19:18 EDT
On 6-27-95 Karl Hancock asked>
>:Does anyone have any experience or can anyone indicate that it is even
possible >to have a DAT drive
>on the network rather than attached directly to the HP box?  What about a
>reel-to-reel tape drive.

>Would like to be able run a backup on a remote MPE/ix system with a tape drive
>located in the local operations
>center and mount reel-to-reel tapes for the remote system in the local center.

We currently do this on our 5.0 machine using RoadRunner from Unison/Tymlabs.
Our tape drives are not on the network, but attached to our local HP3000. I
think this may work with any backup solution. We  use file equations on the
remote machine to access the local tape drives after creating a session on the
local machine via the DSLINE command. It is pretty slow, but it works.

Examples of the commands that are located in the backup job on the machine that
does not have tape drives.

:DSLINE remotenode;OPEN
:REMOTE HELLO user/password.account/password,group/password;HIPRI
:FILE RTAPE;DEV=remotenode#TAPE

You then use *RTAPE as your store device.

I hope I have helped. If not I'm sure someone out there will correct me.

Chad Gilles   75767,[log in to unmask]
Don't you just love these Compuserve addresses?