HP3000-L Archives

June 1995, Week 4

From:
Steve Elmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Elmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jun 1995 17:13:08 GMT
Jeff Kell ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
: On Mon, 26 Jun 1995 17:58:16 GMT Steve Elmer said:
: >I assume you are moving MPE programs from one MPE machine to another via
: >the HP9000.  If this is the case, then it would be good to get the RYDER
: >program from JAZZ (also known as mover.pubxl.telesup on Express 2).  The
: >RYDER/MOVER program stores the MPE file attributes and data into a
bytestream
: >file that can be moved around as you describe.  With RYDER/MOVER on both
: >machines, packaging and unpackaging of your files is simple - _all_ MPE
: >attributes will be preserved.

: Could I make a small suggestion here... can we standardize on RYDER versus
: MOVER?  It would be nice if one of the two would read both formats.  Is this
: possible?

: Along those lines, we need a "standard" distribution format for Posix items.
: We have all manners of options now.  I would like to suggest (Mover/Ryder)
: compressed, but of course I'm open for other ideas.  I like this format most
: since the resulting binary can be transported without any special MPE file
: attributes, anything seems to work as long as it's binary.

I would like to standardize on MOVER, but I'm not sure how widely installed
it is.  I've done some work to ensure that the formats are compatible, but I
need to test it yet.  Once I've gotten that done, the new program will go on
JAZZ as MOVER with text explaining it.

I guess those .R files should start being called .M files?

Steve