HP3000-L Archives

June 1995, Week 4

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 1995 17:42:01 EDT
On Mon, 26 Jun 1995 17:58:16 GMT Steve Elmer said:
>I assume you are moving MPE programs from one MPE machine to another via
>the HP9000.  If this is the case, then it would be good to get the RYDER
>program from JAZZ (also known as mover.pubxl.telesup on Express 2).  The
>RYDER/MOVER program stores the MPE file attributes and data into a bytestream
>file that can be moved around as you describe.  With RYDER/MOVER on both
>machines, packaging and unpackaging of your files is simple - _all_ MPE
>attributes will be preserved.

Could I make a small suggestion here... can we standardize on RYDER versus
MOVER?  It would be nice if one of the two would read both formats.  Is this
possible?

Along those lines, we need a "standard" distribution format for Posix items.
We have all manners of options now.  I would like to suggest (Mover/Ryder)
compressed, but of course I'm open for other ideas.  I like this format most
since the resulting binary can be transported without any special MPE file
attributes, anything seems to work as long as it's binary.

[\] Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>