HP3000-L Archives

June 1995, Week 4

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 1995 00:18:23 EDT
On Thu, 22 Jun 1995 23:47:53 GMT Steve Elmer said:
>Jeff Kell ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
>: The httpd "repackaging" I mentioned yesterday is now available by ftp
>: from opus.admin.utc.edu as /pub/hp3000-l/httpd13.RZ.  It is a compressed
>: Ryder file and installs the same as the jazz version (see there for the
>: details).  Quickie (based on Mike's installation instructions):
>
>How much savings did compress give you over straight Ryder?  Did the hang
>get resolved then?

The Ryder file was > 600K sectors.  The compressed one is > 300K sectors.
The hang was resolved by the patch (httpd and MPE NS patches).  Everything
is just wonderful except for my aforementioned problems, which are almost
certainly related to lower bound of contiguous free space.  As long as I
keep the space adequate, I have no problems (don't let me scare anyone away
from httpd because of my situation).  I have a new 2Gb drive to install in
the very near future so this may be a non-problem for practical purposes,
but for sites with limited contiguous free space I am very concerned since
my problems are a fairly blatantly obvious bug.  I don't want to make it
simply "go away" and have the next person down the line go through the same
experience.  I'd like it to be addressed and fixed now, so I'm hesitant to
install the new drive until I get some satisfaction on this problem :-)

For others running httpd, what is your lower bound of contiguous free space
in the system volume set?  I think I may have a unique environment here.

[\] Jeff