HP3000-L Archives

June 1995, Week 4

From:
Chris Bartram <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 1995 12:10:29 -0400
 In <[log in to unmask]> Mike Belshe <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> > Several people (myself included) are experiencing problems with httpd.
> > Chris Bartram and Stan Sieler have both reported CPU-bound "hangs" of
> > their servers.  I am having fork(), exec(), and malloc() problems.  In
> > the process of tracing down my troubles, I cleaned up a few things but
> > still haven't really nailed down the problem.  A little history...
>
> The CPU bound hang is due to the client unexpectedly hanging up while
> the server is sending data.  MPE's POSIX seems to have a bug and is
> unable to receive the SIGPIPE signal.  The patch available on jazz
> should fix this problem.

The HTTPD code gets a pretty heavy workout on our system lately, and I'm
happy to say we haven't had any problems with it lately. We were originally
experiencing the cpu-bound hangs where it went so cpu-crazy that almost all
activity on the system came to a halt. I'm happy to say that we haven't seen
any of these for a while. We have however,

 1) got the NS patches (and some others since then) that were recommended
    by Mike on Jazz
 2) installed the server version modified by Stan (which supposedly includes
    the httpd patches from jazz) and which (thanks Stan!) does a nifty job
    of reporting all accesses to the server to the system console as they
    happen.

We have had one system hangup since all the new patches, but I can't point
a definitive finger at httpd on that one. In any case, whatever it was was
eating the cpu up so badly we couldn't even get a <ctrl-A> on the console and
had to kill the system to get over it. It reminded me of the earlier problems
we had with httpd, but that time I couldn't even do a SHOWJOB (much less a
SHOWPROC) to see what process was hogging the system. Nothing since though.

All in all, the server's working, no errors in $stdlist, scripts work fine,
even imagemaps work. No complaints here - thanks again to Mike and Co.

                               -Chris Bartram
                                3k Associates