HP3000-L Archives

June 1995, Week 4

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 1995 00:23:30 EDT
On Wed, 21 Jun 1995 16:40:23 PST Paul H. Christidis said:
>Could someone elaborate as to the type of connectivity that the SNA Link
>and SNA NRJE products make available to the HP3000?   Could most of this
>connectivity be made available through FTP?

SNA Link provides basic SNA connectivity and (I think) can support several
services simultaneously depending on your host.  We use SNA/NRJE to our
parent campus running MVS/JES2.  SNA/NRJE makes you a "remote workstation"
to the host; you can submit jobs to the host and receive output through the
printer and punch (sic) datastreams.  FTP is not a readily available option
for an MVS/JES2 host unless the host initiates the transfers.  Due to the
esoteric implementation of FTP under MVS there are some inherent problems
when the MVS site is the host (you can "get" files easily, but "put" can be
problemmatic).

There is also SNA/LU6.2, a primitive client/server protocol, and SNA/DHCF
(Distributed Host Console Facility?) which allows 3270-type sessions over
the SNA link.  There may be others, but those are the basics.

The crux of the matter is your link type... typically SNA and TCP cannot
co-exist (same link) without mutually consenting routers on either end, and
even then you have to have two interfaces on the 3000, one IP, one SNA (as
far as I know).

[\] Jeff Kell, [log in to unmask]