HP3000-L Archives

June 1995, Week 3

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 1995 11:01:51 EDT
Forwarded for Leonard Berkowitz (sent to owner-hp3000-l):

[\] Jeff
From: "Leonard S. Berkowitz" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: RE: CD Extensions for MPE/iX
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 95 08:31:00 PDT

I passed your questions on to our Technical Support Manager, as we have had
the HP Documentation CD on our HP3000 since September.  Here is what he
said:
We have been using CD Extensions for MPE/ix for about 8 months. These are
some of the issues that I have encountered:
<start>
1. On our PC clients we use WRQ's RNS stack for Windows.  This alone is
incompatible with the CD Extensions for MPE/ix.  We had to use portions of
our old WRQ DOS stack to make it work.  This negated many of the memory
efficiencies we gained by going to a WRQ Windows product.  On top of this,
the CD extensions load up in your config.sys and autoexec.bat files, taking
up more or our precious conventional memory.

2.  A job for CD extensions must be running at all times.  If you stop the
job for whatever reason or dismount the CD to change to an updated CD, your
users will have to REBOOT their clients in order to have access to the CD
again.

3.  The performance is at times terrible.  Although it is still better than
doing a text string search by hand.  We did not realize how the performance
was, until we migrated the CD over to our Novell server.

In the end we have given up on CD extensions for MPE/ix.  We now have the CD
mounted on our Novell server.  I am convinced this is the best way to go.
 We have gained back the memory on the client side, and the performance is
terrific. <end>

We still have the CD-ROM drive on the HP3000.  We will use it to create
upgrade tapes once we go to the 5.0 push release.  Just doing that saved
enought money in software support costs from HP to pay back the investment
in seven (7)!!! months.  In was our HP SE who suggested this to us.
Leonard S. Berkowitz                    voice: (617) 423-2020
Warren, Gorham & Lamont                 fax: (617) 423-9057
31 St. James Avenue                e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Boston, Massachusetts 02116