HP3000-L Archives

June 1995, Week 2

From:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jun 1995 16:53:11 -0500
According to Connie Samuel:

> We are a small community college in NW Oregon and are in the
> process of replacing our administrative information system.  We
> plan to purchase the packaged solution from SRN/BiTech and place
> it on an HP3000 939KS.
>
> We need some help deciding on an ad hoc report writer with good
> interfaces for non-technical users and a tool to modify data bases.
> In addition we would like to know if there is a definite advantage
> to purchasing NS/3000rather than just using the ARPA which came
> bundled with MPE 5.0.
>
> Any help you can give us will be greatly appreciated.
> TIA

Connie,
Do you want the report writer to run on the 3000? or do you want
a PC solution that gets data from the 3000 over ODBC? If the PC
version, I would suggest Cognos' Impromptu.

As to ns/3000, if you have multiple 3000s, then with NS/3000 you
can do remore database and file access bewteen the 3000s. If you
just what file copying, the ARPA services' ftp work very well
with 5.0. If you only have one 3000, you do not need NS/3000.

HTH.

--
-- - - - Speaking for myself and not necessarily anybody else - - - - - -
Richard Gambrell        | Internet: [log in to unmask]