HP3000-L Archives

June 1995, Week 2

From:
Bill Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jun 1995 09:17:42 -0700
---- Begin Forwarded Message

From: "Paul A. Haisman" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Newbie on HP3000 ?
To: Multiple recipients of list HP3000-L <[log in to unmask]>

I have two general questions.  I am learning our HP3000 system and
apologize if
I am vague or mistaken on the correct terminology.  We are running MPE
X (not
sure what version.  Can someone, first, tell me how I can find out the
version
of MPE that we are running from the command line?
==================
Type SHOWME at the command line.

  Also there is a DAT
cartridge tape drive installed and I would like to view the contents of
certain
tapes.  How can I do that?
====================
The tape has a device number, on one of my systems it is 7, on the
other it is 12, 13, 14 and 15. Use the device number in a file equation
and access the device via a program.
For example:
:FILE LOOKY;DEV=7
:PRINT LOOKY
Also try FCOPY and you might try writing a program to read it. Some of
the other people on the list may remember the CSL program which dumps
the first few bytes of the header. The format of the header and the
data on the tape will depend on the program which wrote it. It would be
helpfull if you knew something about the data on the tape.

Again if these questions can not be answered based on the information
above I
apologize.  Thanks for any input.

Paul Haisman