HP3000-L Archives

June 1995, Week 2

From:
"Eric J. Schubert" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eric J. Schubert
Date:
Fri, 9 Jun 1995 11:30:56 -0400
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>If you have all your disks in MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET, I *strongly*
>urge that you take this opportunity (if you have to reload), to
>create one (or more) volume sets and place most of your files on them.
>--
>Stan Sieler                                          [log in to unmask]

Stan,

 We tried a separate system volume (class) once - called it "sysdisc".  If
I remember right, the spooler allocated all its space to "sysdisc" and we ran
out of spooler space (this was before NMspooler).  We ran into so many
incompatible situations with system and user software (like trying to do user
logging to sysdisc) that we gave up fighting the battles with software and
made all volumes "DISC" once again.

 I think I need a lesson about differences between defining a device class
.vs. defining volume sets.  Can you explain the differences?  I'm just
wondering how this advice will cause many large "system" allocations to barf
(dumps?)
Eric J Schubert               Senior Data Base Analyst
Admin Information Services    Univ of Notre Dame, IN USA
(219) 631-7306                http://www.nd.edu/~eschuber