HP3000-L Archives

June 1995, Week 2

From:
Martin Knapp <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Martin Knapp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jun 1995 14:23:08 PDT
Well, at the risk of imitating Daniel in the lion's den.... here I go
again, very briefly.

First, don't get me wrong: I think Unix is great, but I also think
MPE is great. I've worked with MPE for about 15 years, and I'm and
HP/MPE fan. So I'm certainly not in the business of telling everybody
they should abandon their HP3000 (unless perhaps, they absolutely
_must_ use an Informix database for example).

The points that have been made in reply - about NFS being available
etc - are indeed true, but....
 - to get NFS you have to buy a 3rd-party product. In Unix its free
(and of course you don't have 3rd party support etc etc to worry
about)
 - yes, I'm aware of Telnet client.... and I'm really looking forward
to having Telnet server. But why did we have to push HP so hard (and
so long) to get them to implement a feature which is absolutely basic
on a Unix system?

I guess that's enough for now. But let me emphasize, I certainly am
not telling anyone to abandon MPE, and much less am I telling a
community of HP professionals how to do their jobs!

Yours sincerely,

Martin Knapp
Any opinions expressed herein are my own, and should not be used to
incriminate my employer or anybody else: living, deceased, or imaginary.

Martin Knapp                             Voice:  (+44)-1689-877-933
Proactive Systems                          FAX:  (+44)-1689-891-475
Central Court                           E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]
Knoll Rise
Orpington
Kent, BR6 0JA
United Kingdom