HP3000-L Archives

June 1995, Week 2

From:
Martin Knapp <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Martin Knapp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 1995 11:04:54 PDT
I've followed some of the discussion on Mr Verona's activity on the
Net, and at the risk of getting flamed by everybody else out there, I
thought I'ld offer my pennyworth to the discussion....

IMHO, there is nothing in wrong in Mr Verona responding to a request
for help, info, etc by saying: "hey, we're involved in this area, we
do this, maybe we can help". If I was a system adminstrator (which I
was for about 10 years), I would be very happy to get this kind of
message, _in response_ to requests for info. What I would really
object to is getting junk mail unsolicited.

Let's be real about this. We live in a commercial world. We all get
paid wages to run computers, and those wages are paid by the profits
of trade, either directly (we work for private companies) or
indirectly (we work for the govt and get paid by people's taxes). And
to run the computers, we need to buy software and services from other
people, so it's always useful to know who is out there offering
software and services.

Of course, you could say I'm biased because I now work for a software
company!

Yours sincerely,

Martin Knapp

Martin Knapp                             Voice:  (+44)-1689-877-933
Proactive Systems                          FAX:  (+44)-1689-891-475
Central Court                           E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]
Knoll Rise
Orpington
Kent, BR6 0JA
United Kingdom