HP3000-L Archives

June 1995, Week 2

From:
Gilles Schipper <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gilles Schipper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 1995 19:53:15 -0400
>I sent out a longer version of this message a while back but received
>no comments, so am trying again focusing on just one point.
>---
>MPE/iX 5.0 has been up for a few weeks now and I've been exploring the
>Posix shell.
>
>On our second day on 5.0 the system crashed when I ran a NMPRG from
>the shell(with a Compatiblity Mode suddendeath!).
>This program opens an Image database.
>I created a two line test program that does a DBOPEN then
>DBCLOSE(in HP 'C'). This also crashes the system.
>My conclusion from this is that ANY program that opens an Image
>database when called directly from the shell will crash our system.
>
>The above programs work fine when run from the shell using
>'callci'(which is the proper way to run them), but crash
>the system when called directly.
>We have submitted an SR.
>
>Has anybody else had any experience with this?
>Response Centre had no info on this topic and told us to 'protect'
>these programs from being run from the shell.
>
>Thanks, Bob.
>--=--=--
>Bob Walker, Computer Centre  --  [log in to unmask]
>Capilano College, North Vancouver, BC, CANADA.

I just tried it myself. Compiled (native mode) a very small COBOL85 program
which only opens and closes an IMAGE database - mode 1.

Executed it from the shell with the following command:

/TESTACCT/TESTGRP/TSTNMPRG

No problemo.

OS is 5.0 push, with C.50.02 powerpatch.

I'll be happy to help get to the bottom of this.

Perhaps, Bob, you could send me your NMPRG file (I do not have access to the
C compiler) and image schema and I could try to reproduce the problem here
on a 918lx.

   Gilles Schipper                    Voice:      905/889-3000
   GSA Inc.                           Fax:        905/889-3001
   300 John Street, Box 87651         Internet:   [log in to unmask]
   Thornhill, ON  Canada  L3T 7R4     Compuserve: 71203,474