HP3000-L Archives

June 1995, Week 1

From:
Jim Wowchuk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Wowchuk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 1995 09:54:13 +1000
At 01:25 PM 6/6/95 GMT, Bill Whiting wrote:
>We are currently looking to add a simply network (Peer to Peer) at our
>library and connect it to the HP3000 which runs our library functions.
>
>Can you give me a little background on this project.  I have been told that
>Version 5.0 will add the newtorkability to the HP and simply connecting the
>LAN to the "network" line between the DTC and HP3000 will work fine.  IS THAT
>TRUE ????????????

Keeping it simple...MPE/iX 5.0 includes the networking 'LINK' product - that
means it supports TCP/IP and UDP/IP protocols.  Included with this are the
programming libraries NetIPC and BSD Sockets.  So, once installed, you will
be able write programs (using the appropriate languages) that connect to
other programs on other computers on the network -- provided they also know
how to talk to TCP/IP and you agree on a protocol - rules for the
conversation between programs.  This linking layer is also known as the
'TRANSPORT'.

HP also supply some 'SERVICES' programs with the 'LINK' product - notably
they include the VTServer.  This service (program) lets users running
terminal emulators (like WRQ's Reflection for Windows) that are running on a
PC with a TCP/IP transport (like WRQ's Reflection Network Series or
Microsoft's Daytona TCP/IP or Novell's LanWorkplace) connect over the network.

You say you are adding a Peer-to-Peer network.  By this I expect you mean
you are running a local area network linking PCs, in which any PC can share
its resources (disk/printers) while performing its normal tasks.  That is,
you don't require 'dedicated' servers for file sharing and printer sharing.

Adding an HP3000 to the network doesn't mean that you will get file sharing
and printer sharing from and to the HP3000.  Those are extra 'SERVICES' that
are *not* included with 5.0 as part of FOS.  Most of those services (and a
whole lot more) are available for purchase either from HP or other 3rd
parties, like Quest, 3K & Assoc, Fransen/King, Unison.  There are also
contributed programs in the CSL and Opus that require networking to work
like the MPED and JTMAIL. :)

So perhaps the addition of networking on the HP3000 won't give you
everything you need to support say ArtiSoft's peer-to-peer networking.  But
it is a *big* step closer.  Just be sure your PCs speak (at least) TCP/IP
and your potential for benefit increases hugely.

I hope this helps.  Please call if you've any particular questions.

Regards.
----
Jim "seMPEr" Wowchuk           Internet:    [log in to unmask]
Vanguard Computer Services     Compu$erve:  100036,106
 _--_|\                        Post:        PO Box 18, North Ryde, NSW 2113
/      \                       Phone:       +61 (2) 888-9688
\.--.__/ <---Sydney NSW        Fax:         +61 (2) 888-3056
      v      Australia