HP3000-L Archives

June 1995, Week 1

From:
Debbie Blumenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Debbie Blumenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jun 1995 16:17:50 EST
I was really not intending to get involved in this, but ...

This list is great for HP3000 users, of *all* kinds, who need help
with real problems/situations.  Many very capable people give of
their time to offer viable solutions to those who ask.

The problem, IMHO, with Steven Verona's advise is that it appears to
be here for an entirely different reason.

That is to say, using this 'generic' problem: "I need help trying to
(do some specific task) on my (existing equipment)", the poster may
get several answers related to the "specific task" and the "existing
equipment".  OTOH, from Steven Verona, s/he was getting *this* type
of answer: "Why don't you just buy a new UNIX box and (etc.) and your
problems will be solved.... call me."

Personally, I believe *that* is the reason people were/are offended.
Think of all the software/hardware vendors on this list who could
"blow their own horn" at every opportunity.  But they don't.

> I have never _initiated_ any discussions pertaining to the services
> that we provide.  I have simply offered a solution to a problem posed
> by others.  The fact that you do not agree with my option does not make
> it wrong.  I do not feel as though I am using marketing tactics, just
> offering alternative solutions. ...

Debbie.

 Debbie Blumenthal, Computer Services
 Conestoga College,  Kitchener, Ontario CANADA