HP3000-L Archives

June 1995, Week 1

From:
Tom Emerson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Emerson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jun 1995 01:25:12 GMT
In <[log in to unmask]> Elbert E Silbaugh
<[log in to unmask]> writes:

>Eero Laurila wrote:
>
>>- Briefly...  an FOPEN to a terminal device is counted towards user
licence
>>  You can have one process FOPENING 100 terminals and that's it, your
user
>>  licence is used up.  Without going into all details of it, the
basic
>>  approach is to count FOPENs to 'real' terminal devices that can do
terminl
>>  I/O.  'real' includes also 'real virtual' terminals (sounds great,
ha?) -
>>  meaning virtual terminals that do terminal i/o, excludes null VT
terminal
>>  that cannot do terminal i/o.
>>
>>  It does not matter how many databases one opens if the user has
only one
>>  terminal device file open - that's one user.
>
>So, what if, in a process handling, menu driven environment, ONE
session
>has TWO or MORE processes each with (1 or more) FOPENs on the same
LDEV
>in effect at the same time?
>
>or
>
>ONE process has TWO or MORE FOPENs on the same LDEV?
>
>If FOPENs are counted, then an FOPEN for STDLIST to the LDEV is ONE,
>another FOPEN to the same LDEV for whatever reason is another   ONE.
>                            Total count towards user license is TWO
>
>Indeed, every session that is running a program above the CI has AT
LEAST
>an FOPEN by the CI, plus AT LEAST one FOPEN by the active program.
>
>I suspect the counting against the user license is a bit more
complicated
>but, alas, how much more complicated?
>
>TIA, Elbert

The solution to this, I believe, is the fact that the FOPENS for
$STDIN, $STDLIST, (and possibly $STDERR) are NOT counted as "FOPENs for
a specific LDEV".  In fact, since $STDIN and $STDLIST are two seperate
files from the low-level point of view of a program, these are actually
TWO FOPENs of your terminal for every program in your process tree.

Even this isn't an absolute, I think, because it would be possible to
run a program with $STDIN/$STDLIST redirected to another port (much
like running a VIEW-based program that has an unexpected DISPLAY clause
somewhere in the source...)  However, this can be rationalized by
making the statement above read, "FOPENs for $STDIN/$STDLIST that refer
to the users physical terminal LDEV are not counted".

ok - somebody pass me the excedrin.

Tom Emerson