HP3000-L Archives

June 1995, Week 1

From:
Duane Percox <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Duane Percox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 1995 08:22:26 -0700
[log in to unmask] (Jeff Kell ) wrote:
[ major snipping...]

>I would certainly have my doubts about such a large
>number of VT sessions,  both from the processor's
>standpoint and the added cost of network software  to
>accomplish that goal.  Offloaded telnet (TAC or Telnet
>Express) appears  to be the most efficient and
>cost-effective (and open) solution if you are  looking
>at a volume of users such as yours.

Jeff - we have customers running >100 vt sessions and have at
least two >200+ vt sessions and they all report no problems
vis-a-vis system overhead as long as they have enough cpu/mem.
At those volumes vendors have pretty attractive pricing. I
would use the wfwg3.11/mstcp/wrq-nsopen combo if possible to
reduce costs.

[Climb on SoapBox]
I like a "SessionFree" application architecture myself. Reduces
system overhead, the pc costs are less, and the on-going costs
of large user licenses is eliminated (for now). Of course its
not always easy to convert your "Session" based architechture
to "SessionFree" based. Especially if you don't have the source
code.

-- Duane Percox (Quintessential School Systems)