HP3000-L Archives

May 1995, Week 4

From:
Gilles Schipper <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gilles Schipper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 May 1995 18:55:36 -0400
>From: Michael Vealey <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Help! Invalid ASCII digit errors in native mode
>
>We are migrating piecemeal to native mode. So far, we haven't had
>many major problems (knock on simulated woodgrain laminate) but the
>one that's taking the largest chunks out of our posteriors is invalid
>ASCII digit errors.
>
>It seems that when we get a not found condition on a DBGET, random
>garbage is left in the record space. This is understandable but our
>old classic didn't seem to mind. The new box is giving us fits! All
>the programs running in compatibality mode handle this just fine but
>kick it up to native mode and WHAM!
>
>To date, our solution is to initialize the record space after an
>unsuccessful DBGET. Is there a simpler answer?

I guess it depends upon what you men by simpler. There is certainly a more
consistent method.

You need to add the $CONTROL VALIDATE to your source program and recompile,
re-link, etc.

Then, issue the following command, BEFORE executing the program:

SETVAR COBRUNTIME "M"

There are actually 6 run-time options, each with various settings that are
used to handle different COBOL run time error/warning conditions. The first,
which, in the above example, is set to "M", means:

For "Illegal ASCII/Decimal Digit" errors, print the error message, fix the
illegal digit, and continue.

I believe this is the option you want, since this is what normally happens
in compatability mode.

Is this simpler? You be the judge.

For more information, please refer to your COBOL/XL manual - or send me a
private e-mail and I can send you the details.

   Gilles Schipper                    Voice:      905/889-3000
   GSA Inc.                           Fax:        905/889-3001
   300 John Street, Box 87651         Internet:   [log in to unmask]
   Thornhill, ON  Canada  L3T 7R4     Compuserve: 71203,474