HP3000-L Archives

May 1995, Week 4

From:
Mike Belshe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Belshe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 May 1995 19:11:29 GMT
David Greer ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
: Mike Belshe states:

: > I think the best thing is to not get stuck on silly things like this.
: > Whether its called _MPEXL_SOURCE or something else really doesn't make
: > any difference, and we're better off debating real work issues.

: I couldn't disagree more.  With over fifteen years of experience
: writing software and as R&D manager of Robelle with more than half
: a million lines of code, I would say that it is just such issues
: that you should worry about.  It's often the little things that come
: back to worry you time and time again.

: Since there were few responses for a choice of #define, I suggest
: that we agree on:

:      #define _HP3K_SOURCE

I don't really like "HP3K" since it isn't entirely accurate.  Doesn't
HP3K really refer to a hardware line rather than a software line?
Technically speaking, since these are OS specific dependencies, shouldn't
we mention the OS, MPE?  I'd like to see MPE in there.

You're right- *in general* little things can haunt you, but I'll still
argue that this particular name is silly.  Anyone reading the code will
be able to determine that these are specific code changes for the
MPE OS- whether its _MPE, _MPE_SOURCE, _MPEXL_SOURCE or HP3K_SOURCE.
After all, people reading the code on jazz figured out what _MPEXL_SOURCE
was without any explanation... :-)

Mike

---
Mike Belshe