HP3000-L Archives

May 1995, Week 4

From:
Mark Klein <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Klein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 May 1995 15:02:14 PST
David writes:

>Mark suggests that I use an automatic C define.  Perhaps I'm the only
>one, but I find trying to figure out what defines are in effect is a
>black art.  This is especially true of automatic defines -- I've never
>been able to figure out exactly which ones are generated by the HP C
>compiler.

Actually, there are multiple ways to do this, the simplest being to scan
the include files provided by HP to determine which directives are
already in place. Alternately, using POSIX, you can pipe the output of
'strings' done against the C preprocessor through 'sort' and 'uniq' and
browse that list. That is how I determined which were recognized.

>Even worse, if we assume an automatic define then we must assume a
>specific C compiler.  What happens if someone in the future decides
>to use GNU C instead of HP C?  Will GNU C automatically define the
>sames defines?  I doubt it.

If you wanna wager - I'll take that bet! ;-)

M.