HP3000-L Archives

May 1995, Week 4

From:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 May 1995 17:26:50 -0700
Dan writes:
> Does anyone know why a program would crash when its SL was octcomp'ed, but
> runs fine when the SL was not octcomp'ed?

Yes.

Remember...OCTCOMP is a compiler, and compilers have bugs.  The bugs in
OCTCOMP vary from release to release, and I suspect you got bit by one.

One that I can think of:

   FOR loops (TBA & MTBA instructions, for instance) make a *usually*
   valid assumption that the programmer won't be changing the FOR-loop
   limit or counter or variable address in the stack.  So, if the
   programmer *does* do something that nasty, the OCT'd version won't
   work like the non-OCT'ed ("emulated") version.

That problem's been around forever, and I reported it to HP around 86 or so.

You could try OCT'ing the program a segment at a time, to see if
you can locate which segment is causing the problem.

Or, try a different version of OCTCOMP...I've seen problems like you
describe come & go & come & go over four releases.

Stan