HP3000-L Archives

May 1995, Week 4

From:
Jeff Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 May 1995 17:17:34 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]>,
[log in to unmask] says...

>Hi All,
>
>First of all, thanks to the many who contributed valuable suggestions
>(sometimes several times!).

================
jfb: Thank you!
================

> ... snip ...
>
>There will be 2 formats: verbose output similar to what you've seen before,
>and a condensed version.  Thus, there will be 2 format numbers (8 and 9)
and
>2 mnemonics ("access", "accdetail").
>
>You are presented with 2 flavors of these 2 formats.  The 1st flavor is
>basically not sorted at all, so the output is in the same order that the
>file is opened.  This means that the same job/session id can appear several
>times if it has several processes that have opened the file in question.
The
>2nd flavor is sorted by job/sess id, and thus the same job/sess id always
only
>appears once per file.

==================
jfb: I like the two formats, but really would like to have both sort
orders available.  Sometimes I want to find out who is using a particular
file, or to see how a particular file is used.  Other times, I want to
see what a particular user is doing, and I'd want all of the files shown
together.  Is it significantly more work to have both sort orders, so I
guess that would mean 4 format numbers?
==================

>------------
>New Choice 1  format 9 (in file-open order)
>------------
>

> ... snip the examples for this choice ...

======================
jfb: Perhaps the Onnnn display of the spoolid should allow room
for larger numbers (per a separate thread discussing this possibility)
and the possible impact on procedures which parse this data: Onnnnn.
======================

>New Choice 1  format 8 (file-open order still)
>------------
>
>********************
>FILE: LOGFILE9.LOGGING1.SYSTEM12
>      NO ACCESSORS
>********************
>FILE: LOGFILE8.LOGGING1.SYSTEM12
>      NO ACCESSORS
>********************
>FILE: LOGFILE1.LOGGING1.SYSTEM12
>      5 ACCESSORS,SHARED,3 R,2 W,LOCKED,REMOTE
>#S12345  JOBNAME8,USER5678.ACCT5678 -lock- LDEV: 12345
>#S12345  JOBNAME8,USER5678.ACCT5678 -lock- LDEV: 12345
>#S40     FRED,MGR.PAYROLL,PUB       -lock- REM: clientmpe.cup.hp.com
>#J15     JSPOOL,RSPOOL.SYS,RSPOOL          SPID: O7654321
>#S12345  JOBNAME8,USER5678.ACCT5678 -lock- LDEV: 12345
>********************
>FILE: /bin/awk
>      2 ACCESSORS,SHARED,2 R,LOCKED
>#S12     CATHY.DEVELOP,CI                  LDEV: 228
>#J8      JCOMP,MBETOOLS.BUILD,PUB   -lock- SPID: O369
>

>Note: #S12345 appears 3 times, once for each process.
>
>Features:
>1) one line per job/session accessor.
>2) shows remote accessor
>3) indicates which job/sess have the file locked.

==========================
jfb:

- How about fixing the position of whatever comes after "LDEV",
  "REM", or "SPID", etc., so that the name can be more easily parsed
  out?
- Can this show whether the file is being R(ead) or W(rite)?
- Could the record number be shown?
- Without either the I/O mode or record number or other distinguishing
  data, showing a file multiple times only says that it is accessed
  by the same user multiple times.  That could also be shown by adding
  (cnt) after the userid or elsewhere on the one display line.
==========================

>New Choice 2  format 9 (sort by j/s number)
>
> ... snip example ...

>New Choice 2  format 8 (sort by j/s number)
>
>********************
>FILE: LOGFILE9.LOGGING1.SYSTEM12
>      NO ACCESSORS
>********************
>FILE: LOGFILE8.LOGGING1.SYSTEM12
>      NO ACCESSORS
>********************
>FILE: LOGFILE1.LOGGING1.SYSTEM12
>      5 ACCESSORS,SHARED,3 R,2 W,LOCKED,REMOTE
>#S12345  JOBNAME8,USER5678.ACCT5678 -lock- LDEV: 12345
>#S40     FRED,MGR.PAYROLL,PUB       -lock- REM: clientmpe.cup.hp.com
>#J15     JSPOOL,RSPOOL.SYS,RSPOOL          SPID: O7654321
>********************
>FILE: /bin/awk
>      2 ACCESSORS,SHARED,2 R,LOCKED
>#S12     CATHY.DEVELOP,CI                  LDEV: 228
>#J8      JCOMP,MBETOOLS.BUILD,PUB   -lock- SPID: O369
>

>Note: #S12345 only appears once now.

===============================
jfb:
- Could a summation of the I/O modes used be shown?
  (e.g., "R", "W", "RW")
- If the number of accesses per user is useful (per above; I'm not
  requesting this), could the count be shown after the userid or
  elsewhere on the line?

>Please let me know what you think.  Thanks for all of your great input!
>
>regards,
>Jeff Vance, MPE Lab
>
>--
>Jeff Vance