HP3000-L Archives

May 1995, Week 3

From:
Wilson Wong <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wilson Wong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 May 1995 13:47:37 -0700
On Wed, 17 May 1995, Donald Timmonds Harrington wrote:

> This only somewhat related to this thread, but what the heck...
>
> We are doing some testing on a 5.0 machine (we are on 4.0) that has
> the same account structure, but a different account name.  To put
> our databases on this machine, I did a RESTORE ;LOCAL.  We now find
> that any attempt to open the database gives us an error -91.  BTW,
> this database is SUPERDEXed (under 3.1).  The 5.0 site has a demo
> version of SUPERDEX v. 3.2.
>
> ANY help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> I know the thoughts expressed here are my own because no one else would claim
> them!
>
> Don Harrington                      [log in to unmask]
> Boeing Commercial Airplane Group    Phone:   206-931-4457
> PO Box 3707  MS 5J-34               FAX:     206-931-2325
> Seattle, WA  98124-2207

Donald -

You might want to check out the GID on the files in question.  There have
been a few related threads of late on this same subject.  We had a
similar problem after doing an "install" and ended up with about 8 files
that had an acd of racd put on them.  Well, read acd access really
doesn't help if you want to do anything with the files.  Turned out that
the files were originally created 2 years ago (when we were on 4.0), were
"fixed" during our time on 4.5, and ended up "broke" again on 5.0.  Doing
a listfile on /acct/group/filename,-3 showed that the GID on the file was
incorrect... so you end up with racd.  Further research found that the
files were originally created in one account and either copied or renamed
across accounts and thus had a mismatched GID.  The permanent fix was to
copy/rename the files while logged on to the right place.

Hope this helps...

Wilson Wong
Communications Technology Center