HP3000-L Archives

May 1995, Week 3

From:
Chris Bartram <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Bartram <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 May 1995 17:05:54 -0400
 In <[log in to unmask]> Bob Dewitt <[log in to unmask]> writes:

[pardon the bandwidth, but I thought some other people might also be
 interested in at least some parts of this...]

>      OK, let me ask this question again ... I haven't raised it for several
>      months.  Does DeskLink still rely on HPs FSC gateway?  If so then it
>      contains the fatal flaw that our users find unacceptable: full
>      distribution lists are not transported between mail systems.  This
>      means that any attempt to "reply to all" fails, and the responder must
>      reconstruct the full distribution list by hand.  Very annoying.

True. DeskLink uses the FSC interface, which is [still] broken in that it
[the interface] doesn't allow incoming messages to include full distribution
lists [i.e. with a "don't deliver" flag on addresses external or already
delivered by other means]. I don't know if/when this will be fixed, but if
it does, we will certainly take advantage of it. The Desk Intrinsic
interface DOES provide such a feature, and it seems to me that there is
more than one relatively painless and compatible way of adding it to the
FSC interface as well...

[I don't know who's handling the FSC code at HP anymore; Martin Leech used
to maintain it and we had talked informally about doing this in the past -
I'd be interested in hearing from whoever is handling that code now???]

In the meantime, we do the best we can; we do copy the complete ARPA headers
into the [arpa headers] section of the message, and even added an option
to include a copy of some message headers [to/cc/subject/etc] in the body
of the message so users will at least have that information in front of
them even if it's not "replyable". [We DO correctly set the reply address
for Internet messages though, following the appropriate reply-to/sender/
from Internet rules, and Desk users CAN reply to messages - even from
Internet addresses; they just can't reply to ALL recipients of the message
when there were FSC/foreign addresses on the list.]

>      I would love to hear that someone has used the HPDesk Intrinsics to
>      write a good, fully-functional HPDesk/SMTP gateway.  I've been looking
>      for one for months.

I'd like to hear from anyone that's done ANYTHING like that with the
Intrinsics; the only people I know that attempted to work with them ran
into problems and couldn't get any help resolving them. If someone out
there HAS gotten the Desk/gateway intrinsics to do anything non-trivial,
I'd be interested in hearing about it too...

                                -Chris Bartram

  Chris Bartram        Sales (US):   800 Net-Mail    Fax:+1 916 622-0738
   ______              -or-       +1 916 622-0630 E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
  /__ |  \__________   Sales (Europe):+44(0480)414131 Fax:+44(0480)414134
 /  / | / ________     Sales (Pacific Rim):+61 3 489 8216 (same for fax)
|  /_ |<  ______       Tech Support:+1 703 569-9189  Fax:+1 703 451-3720
 \ __)| \ ___          E-mail: [log in to unmask]   Personal(me): [log in to unmask]
  \______/ Associates  6901 Old Keene Mill Rd Suite 205 Springfield VA 22150
Gopher: gopher.3k.com   Anon-FTP: ftp.3k.com  WWW: http://www.3k.com/