HP3000-L Archives

May 1995, Week 3

From:
Eero Laurila <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eero Laurila <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 May 1995 17:22:45 GMT
Mark Sexton ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
: We are in the process of evaluating online backup products. I would
: appreciate any and all comments you all may have on the subject. Our
: primary concern is reliablity and up time. Of course cost is an issue.

: We are looking at Unison's Roadrunner with Online, Orbit's Online backup
: and TurboStore's Online. If you have any comments about any of these
: products, please post or email me at [log in to unmask]

: We recently had to return a third party software product because of
: reliability problems. I don't want to go through that again.

: Thanks.
: Mark Sexton
: Modular Data Inc.

 - FYI, MPE/iX OS lab is about to come out with a new version of online
   backup - don't remember what was it called - probably something along
   the lines of "true online backup" or so.  The current product requires
   ceasing the application activity on databases and so on for the time it
   takes to initialize (~ 5min) after which users can continue.  Current
   online backup will produce a backup that is up to date with system's
   state at the START of backup.  Some third party products sync up at the
   end of backup.  HP's new version (from what I've heard) should be able to
   do one or other.

Hope this helps,
Eero - HP CSY Networking lab,  NS services.